Riverside Car Accident Injury Attorneys
The Riverside car accident lawyers at Ochoa & Calderon have years of experience helping injured clients recover the damages they are owed after negligent defendants cause them and their families harm. We are ready to investigate your car crash injury claims, gather evidence to build your strongest case, and hold negligent drivers, auto manufacturers, government agencies, and insurance providers liable for the compensation they owe. If you or someone you love has been injured in a car crash in Southern California, you could be entitled to compensation for the harm you have been put through. Our Southern California personal injury legal team is ready to help.
Most Common Causes of Car Crashes
Many different factors can contribute to a car accident, but safety experts agree on one thing: If everyone was operating their vehicle safely and appropriately, almost no car crashes would ever occur. At the end of the day, car accidents nearly always happen because someone was negligent at some junction along the way. At Ochoa & Calderon, we know how to investigate a car accident, find out who was at fault, and ensure that they pay for the medical expenses, pain and suffering, and emotional trauma suffered by the victims they harmed.
The most common factors that lead to car accidents in Southern California and across the country include the following:
- Intoxicated driving. Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, be they legal, prescription, or illegal, remains one of the leading causes of car crashes in California and elsewhere. Intoxicants impair drivers’ ability to think, see, and react. Driving while intoxicated is a criminal offense and is strong evidence of fault in a civil case.
- Distracted driving. Everyone has a smartphone, meaning that everyone has the option of spending their drive texting, emailing, checking social media, and otherwise communicating or scrolling the internet. Distracted driving is rapidly overtaking drunk driving as a leading danger on U.S. roadways. Texting or otherwise using a phone while driving takes a driver’s focus off of driving; it takes their eyes off the road and hands off the wheel, allowing for a crash to occur as soon as anything unexpected occurs.
- Drowsy driving. Driving after not sleeping all night can be just as dangerous as driving drunk. As a matter of fact, safety experts indicate that going without sleep for more than 24 hours impairs cognitive functioning the same as having a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.10%, which is above the legal limit. Drivers must be aware of their own fatigue and ensure that they either get enough sleep or get off the road.
- Speeding and other aggressive driving tactics. Whether drivers are in a hurry or just downright inconsiderate, many choose to flout safety regulations and engage in aggressive maneuvers to shave a few minutes off their commute. Speeding, driving on the shoulder, cutting between lanes, and other aggressive tactics are a leading cause of avoidable car accidents every year.
- Inappropriate driving in inclement weather conditions. Acts of God can certainly contribute to the likelihood of a crash. Snow, sleet, rain, fog, heavy wind, and thunderstorms all increase the chances of a crash. Drivers must take these additional hazards into account when on the road, driving more carefully in accordance with the needs of the moment. Failure to take into account inclement weather conditions is a surefire way to cause a crash.
- Auto defects. Not all crashes are caused by negligent drivers. Sometimes auto manufacturers put vehicles on the market equipped with defective parts. Engines may overheat, brakes may fail, navigation systems may short circuit. When auto parts give out at the worst possible time, serious accidents can result. In those cases, the auto manufacturer or someone along the distribution chain may be held liable for the damages caused.
Call Our Riverside Car Accident Lawyers Today
If you’ve been hurt in a Riverside car or truck accident or suffered personal injury in Southern California resulting from another person’s negligence or misconduct, call Ochoa & Calderon for a free consultation on your claims. We only charge a fee after we are successful in recovering compensation for you. No recovery, no fee.